Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Janelle Monae




I got the amazing oppourtunity to see this extraordinary artist over the past weekend at a free concert Florida State University was giving. Janelle Monae is the ultimate performer; from her high kicks to her shuck and jive moves. She is the epitome of James brown, Prince, MJ, and so many other members of Soul that contributed to our amazing music community back in the day. Her voice is truly angelic and settling. While she performed tracks from her 3rd album The Archandroid which my personal favorites are many moons, cold world, wonderland, smile, and tightrope remix. I was lured in by the amazing talent Ms. Monae posses. At only 24 she has capitavated a different point of view and has given mixed feelings to everyone who has ever seen her. I know a couple of people who claim to just "not get her" and are confused by the pompadour she rocks and the ever so chic black and white Cindi Maywheather (her alter ego) get ups that covers her 5ft petite frame from head to toe. When she came on stage I was in awe of her beautiful skin and total look. Pure beauty is what i could describe. I love her style ranging from music to clothes, hairstyle, and makeup. While reading her article in Vogue she discussed her style "I want to look timeless," she says, rationalizing her rigorous dress code. "I want to be able to look at images of myself over the years and not be able to date them. Plus," she adds, "you can get in anywhere wearing a tuxedo." Damn rite Ms. Monae!! It is indeed better to be overdressed than underdressed anytime. Chek out this interview! Courtsey of youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya6qYbkJb9U

2 comments: